It has been increasingly evident as our understanding of our bodies grows that our health is part of a deeply integrated and interrelated system. When something is going wrong with one system within our body, it affects and is affected by the other systems in the body. This interconnectedness means that the symptoms of some ailments are felt in other areas of the body that may, at first glance, seem unrelated. Holistic doctors work with the entire body to help their patients return to a state of complete wellness.
Our bodies are integrated systems that support and affect each other
How Does Seeing a Holistic Doctor Help Me?
Traditional doctors tend to focus on the symptoms and the part of the body that appears to be directly affected. While this approach can produce meaningful results, it’s possible for the actual origin of the condition to remain unaddressed. In time this can lead to the appearance of the original condition, or the unaddressed problem may manifest in other ways. Holistic doctors take a complete view of the body to find the underlying causes of symptoms and the conditions they cause. Your holistic doctor may ask about:
- Dietary habits – Our diet can have a far-reaching impact on our overall health. Food sensitivities, excessive intake of certain nutrients, or a lack of important dietary elements can all influence our health.
- Stress Levels – Stress produces high levels of cortisol in our body. Continuous high levels of this hormone can lead to physical and mental health concerns. Managing your stress can help reduce the impact of these conditions, including weight gain.
- Exercise Routines – There are so many conditions that we experience that can be mitigated or even solved by getting a little more exercise. There are also conditions that can be caused as the result of exercising too much or in the wrong ways.
- Existing Conditions – By gaining a full understanding of your overall health, your holistic doctor can begin to build a comprehensive image of your state of wellness and begin developing a plan to address the issues you find together.
Holistic doctors are investigators and medical detectives. They don’t just take the immediate concerns and try to address them; they want the whole story. They’ll work with you to find the answers you need to start experiencing whole body wellness and use a broad range of approaches to help you achieve it.
Holistic Medicine focuses on whole body health
Treatments Used By Holistic Doctors
Holistic doctors use an ever-growing body of techniques to address the imbalances that lead to health concerns. These techniques include a combination of traditional and alternative forms of treatment that come together to produce a fuller, happier, and healthier you.
- Nutrition Therapy – Achieve homeostasis through nutrition and testing
- Chiropractic Care – Spinal and joint manipulation to restore posture and balance
- Acupuncture – An ancient technique showing endless benefits for the modern patient
- Massage Therapy – Ease stress, relax tight muscles, free bound emotion
- Allergy Testing – Find environmental causes for your illness.
- And much more…
Wellness is a concept that embraces both body and mind and is the ultimate goal of holistic medicine, as each affects the other.